Thursday, May 29, 2014

Clothing Label Tutorial Part I

When I started making and selling clothes for American Girl dolls (or other 18" dolls), I knew that I wanted to put my own label with my company logo on it in my doll clothes. But I didn't know exactly how to do it and I didn't have a lot of money to get someone else to do it. So after searching on the Internet I finally found a way that I could make my own company labels that looked good and saved me money. So if you would like to learn how I do it, here is a tutorial for you. This tutorial is done in two parts. The first one is done tonight and I'll do the second one tomorrow.

I wanted a way to be able to print on fabric. You can buy fabric that you can print on but it's kind of expensive and this way will save you money.
First of all, you will need a product called Bubble Jet Set. I found it online for about $10. It is made from formaldehyde so you will need to be careful and wear gloves to protect your skin. The other is called Bubble Jet Rinse. This sets the ink on your fabric after you have printed it out.
You will want to choose a fabric to print your labels on. I chose muslin. It just works for me. But you might want to use cotton jersey because it will not fray like the muslin will. I use Fray Check on my labels after they are dried. I cut my fabric out the size of an 8 x 11" piece of copy paper to fit in my ink jet printer. I like to use color but you could use black and white if you want to.
After I cut my fabric with a rotary cutter, I thoroughly saturate my fabric with the Bubble Jet Set. I let it soak in the solution for about 5 minutes. Remember to use your rubber gloves!


After five minutes is up, I squeeze out the fabric and pour the excess back into the bottle to use again the next time. I will now flatten the fabric out and let it dry. This usually takes overnight so this is all until tomorrow. Come back tomorrow to see how I print the labels out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, look forward to next part of tutorial. I pinned it also.

Unknown said...

Thanks for looking.